Careers at ArborGen, US
Our company is made up of innovative and passionate people; foresters, scientists, biologists, conservationists, tree farmers and researchers. We provide a professional yet fun work environment where your input and abilities will have a direct impact on every seedling we grow. Consider joining us!
Scroll down to apply online.
Assistant Orchard Supervisor – Ravenel, South Carolina
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- ONGOING INTERACTION
- EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / SKILLS
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- OTHER COMMENTS
- APPLICATION & DISCLAIMER
The assistant orchard supervisor provides the leadership, technical knowledge and operational know-how required for efficient and cost-effective production of genetically superior open pollinated (OP) and mass control pollinated (MCP) pine seed. The assistant supervisor is proficient in all aspects of orchard management, MCP pollen management and seed production. Maintains good working relationship with and provides support for Product Development (research) and other internal groups.
- Orchard Management — Coordinate complete management regime for approximately 100 acres of pine and hardwood seed orchards, from new establishments to mature orchards. Working knowledge of fertility management, integrated pest management and orchard establishment procedures a plus.
- Cone Harvest — Supervise annual pine cone harvest (+- 5000 bushels) via contract labor keeping detailed records.
- Mass Control Pollination – Supervise contract labor in spring MCP operations including bagging, pollen collection, pollination and detailed record keeping.
- Administrative — Develop and manage an annual operating budget of +/- $750,000, directly supervise 2 reports, manage a strong safety program, operational purchasing, and oversight for MCP, cone harvest and misc. contracted services.
- Operation and knowledge of farm tractors, general farm equipment and chainsaws
Department: Daily interaction with direct reports. Frequent interaction with Orchard Manager and personnel from other Arborgen Orchards across the Southeast.
Company: Regular interaction with personnel in the administration group and Product Development (Research) group.
Outside Company: Participation in occasional outside industry conferences
Bachelor’s degree in Forest Science or related agricultural/horticultural field preferred, or AA degree, plus 5 years work experience in a forestry/agricultural/horticultural -related field
Strong administrative and organizational skills supported by proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software.
Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills.
Orchard management-specific technical knowledge.
Strong sense of financial and asset stewardship.
Maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Will be required to obtain a Restricted Use Pesticide Applicators License
Ability to work in aerial lift buckets of heights up to 85’ is a must. This is heavy work exerting 40-100 pounds of force repeatedly. Work may involve climbing, stooping, crouching, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting and grasping. Worker is subject to inside and outside environment, noise, vibration, working hazards, fumes, odors, dust, wood smoke and chemicals. Visual acuity is required for equipment and vehicle operation; requires hearing sufficient to perceive noises for diagnostic purposes.
Applicant must pass a drug screening test.
Experience in agricultural field a plus. This is an exempt position, with limited travel required. The assistant orchard supervisor must be reliable, innovative, team-oriented and conscientious with a positive work ethic and strong communication skills.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and the responsibilities of the position may change.